My previous post was my recipe forÂ Fire Cider.Â In the recipe for Fire Cider, raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar is one of the 6 ingredients. Â That recipe got me to thinking about Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (henceforth to be referred to as RACV) and I decided to research it.Â
Discovering the many wonders of raw apple cider vinegar
The use of raw apple cider vinegar dates back thousands of years. Its use was documented in Egyptian cultures, was written about in the Bible, and even Hippocrates, the father of medicine, spoke of its use in 500 BC. Â The product is made from apples, using a 2-stage fermenting process. Â Hard apple cider is made during the first stage of fermentation followed by apple cider vinegar during the second stage. Â The differences between RACV and the clear, distilled white vinegar most of us are familiar with is vast. It would be like comparing the difference between whole wheat flour and bleached white flour. Distilled white vinegar has been processed to remove all living sediment. RACV has all the nutrients still intact. While distilled white vinegar, and even commercial apple cider vinegar look appealing, they no longer contain any living nutrients, enzymes, and living sediment known as the “mother”, Â that makes RACV so wonderful. In the 1950’s, companies started distilling, filtering, pasteurizing and refining vinegar, and thus, the enzymes are killed, and the vinegar becomes dead, Â and has no nutritional value. Yes, it is great for cleaning windows, as a laundry additive and softener, fighting household odors, killing grass and weeds, and many other uses, but it no longer is beneficial health-wise. Â
So, what makes raw apple cider vinegar so wonderful for your health?
It’s the nutrients. Â The nutrients that are allowed to remain after the 2-step fermentation process are what makes RACV so wonderful.Â The fermentation process retains the nutrients from the apples themselves and gives the substance additional enzymes and beneficial bacteria which can be seen as a sediment-like substance floating on the bottom of the jar. This murky brown sediment is known as the “mother” because that is where all the living nutrients are found. Be sure to shake the bottle well before each use to ensure incorporating the nutrients into your serving. Â These are some of the nutrients found in RACV:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B6
- Malic Acid
- Tartaric Acid
- Propionic Acid
- Acetic Acid
If you know anything about organic RACV, you know it has a strong, loud smell, and even a stronger taste. It is very pungent, and many people hold their noses and run….including my children, when I get out the RACV. Â I love RACV and I appreciate all of its benefits and I recognize it as a truly spectacular raw resource for many things, from beauty remedies to heart health and weight loss.
What are some of the possible health benefits of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar?
- Promotes alkaline acid balance: drink 2 tablespoons per day straight or with water to restore energy and balance.
- Relieves acid reflux and heartburn: Mix 1 tablespoon with 4 oz water and drink.
- Clears up acne: mix equal parts RACV and water in a bottle. After washing face, apply to skin as a toner. And, not to fear: the vinegar aroma evaporates and you won’t continue to smell it on your skin.
- Curbs appetite: drink 2 tablespoons mixed with 12-20 ounces of purified water and raw honey to taste. Sip throughout the day 2-3 times.
- Gives skin a healthy glow (taken internally and/or as a topical toner)
- Aids in digestion:Â Drink 1-2 tbsp RACV in 8 oz water each day to improve regularity.
- Helps cleanse the colon: As part of the detox process, RACV improves digestion and elimination
- Helps detoxify lymph system: breaks up mucous and congestion
- Increases energy and gives a sense of well-being: taken 2-3 times daily, once you start taking RACV regularly, after a couple of months, you will really notice the difference if you miss a day.
- Gives a healthy shine to hair: After washing hair, rinse with a solution of RACV and water Â for lasting shine.
- Soothes sunburn: add 1 cup of RACV to your bath and soak for 10 minutes to sooth sunburn.
- Soothes sore throat: start drinking as soon as you feel the “tickle”. Gargle with 1 tsp of RACV to 1/2 cup water up to 3 times per hour. May also raw honey to garlge and swallow.
- Reduces sinus infection: start drinking as soon as you start to feel sick
- Relieves symptoms of the common cold: start drinking as soon as you feel a cold coming on, or try Fire Cider
- Enhances immune system: The body is always striving to maintain balance. A healthy ph level leads to improved energy and lower incidences of infection. RACV helps balance the body’s pH.
- Speeds up metabolism
- Helps clean arteries
- Helps lower cholesterol: studies indicate RACV contribues to significant declines in triglycerides and bad cholesterol.
- Improves blood pressure: helps the heart relax, prevents high cholesterol and cleans arteries.
- Reverses oseteoarthritis and osteoporosis by promoting new bone growth
- Increases circulation
- Eases arthritis joint pain: you will find after several months of taking RACV 3 times daily, the stiffness and misery will be gone.
- Eases discomfort of gout
- Relieves muscle cramps and growing pains
- Can be used as an emergency first-aid treatment for sprains: Tear of a portion of a brown paper bag large enough to wrap around the injured area. Holding over the sink, a pan, or towel, saturate the paper with RACV. Wrap the soaked bag around the area. Cover with plastic bag or plastic wrap. If it’s your back, lay a plastic bag over your bedding. Leave this on over night.
- Supports strong teeth: It’s the nutrients and enzymes at work, taken internally. However, I recommend rinsing with plain water after drinking RACV
- Detoxifies the body of diseased cells
- Lowers blood sugar
- Discourages the body from storing fat cells: drink 3 tablespoons in water following a meal to discourage fat storage.
- Relieves stiffness in the body, muscles and joints:Â you will find after several months of taking RACV 3 times daily, the stiffness and misery will be gone.
- Fades age spots on skin: dab undiluted RACV on area and leave on overnight
- Fades scars and acne scars: dab undiluted RACV on area and leave on overnight
- Antibacterial properties that heal inflammation and infection
- Stops nose bleeds (soak gauze or cotton ball with RACV, place in nostril; the astringent properties constrict vessels)
- Heals candida (yeast infections and thrush). Mix 1/4 c. RACV with 1 quart water in a bladder bag (available in feminine hygiene section of drug store). Follow directions on box, do this 2-3 times per day until symptoms resolve. Do not continue for more than 5 days as this will strip the normal acidophilus flora.
- Cures warts: before bed, soak a cotton ball in RACV and place over wart. Â Cover with a bandaid. The skin will swell as it reactts to the RACV. Eventually it will fall off. After it falls off, continue treatment for a few more days to ensure the root has been killed. Â Â
- Soothes insect bites, apply directly to bite
- Eases menstrual cramps (drink RACV tonic 3 times daily)
- Heals athletes foot: soak feet in undiluted RACV 1-3 times daily until symptoms resolveÂ
- Heals ear infection (place 50/50 mixture of RACV and rubbing alcohol into ear, leave in for 10 minutes, a few times daily. This is also perfect for swimmer’s ear.
- Improves regularity: Drink 1-2 tbsp RACV in 8 oz water each day to improve regularity.
- Softens callouses: soak feet in full strength RACV for 30 minutes to one hour to soften callus. After soak, use a pumice stone to exfoliate the callous. Soak feet again in full strength RACV for 15 minutes.
- Deodorant: wipe underarms with a cotton ball soaked in undiluted RACV. If you use this, there is no need for store bought deodorants.
- Relieves tired, achy body: add a cup of RACV to your bathwater and enjoy a nice soak. Your sore, tired body will feel invigorated and your skin will benefit, too.
Take raw apple cider vinegar every day for maximum benefit
The main thing about apple cider vinegar is that you need to drink it several times every day and make it a habit. It isn’t concentrated or time-released like a pill, and it takes a lot to make a difference, but not too much, because too much of anything is bad, too. Â It’s very much like food, and you can’t get your daily requirement by taking just once in the morning. Â Experiment with what makes it “drinkable” for you. You can’t over-dilute it, Â and feel free to add raw honey, another super food that I am extremely fond of. Â Here is a drink recipe that makes adding RACV to your daily diet easy and tasty:
1 1/2 cup filtered water
2 Tbsp apple or grape juice
2 Tbsp RACV
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 to 1 tsp raw honey
Mix together in a glass, add ice if you like, and drink!
You can take this elixir 2-3 times a day, sipping slowly, no need to chug it. Â Some people take a 1 oz. dose straight up, then followed by at least 8 oz chaser of plain water, first thing in the morning, or mixed with raw honey, to get a boost on the day. I’ve been doing that, and it really does help get me moving. Then, I sip two more 1 0z servings around lunchtime and before bed. The beautiful thing about using RACV as a health supplement is that it’s not an exact science, we all are unique and have our own DNA. Â Feel free to experiment and find what works best for you. What works for me might not work for you. But one thing is true, unlike “magic pills”, or pharmaceuticals, incorporating RACV into your daily diet, and seeing the results does take time. Improvement in your well being will happen, but overnight, so if you’re only going to give it a week or two to work, you might be disappointed. Unless you experience adverse effects, which is unlikely, you must give it several weeks, even months, until you can determine the results. Â Please contact me with any questions you may have regarding dosage and uses. I’m happy to help!
I wouldn’t say raw apple cider vinegar cures everything, or even anything. Â But……it might help a lot. RACV with raw honey, has long been praised as a year-round home remedy. RACV can be found in health food stores, Whole Foods, upper scale grocery stores. I use Bragg brand. The main thing is to get raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized, organic apple cider vinegar that has “mother” It’s just might be the best few dollars you’ve spent in a long time. Let me know what you think!