Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender (Lavender angustifolia) is generally regarded as the most versatile therapeutic essence and if you have only one essential oil in your home medicine cabinet, first aid kit, car or purse, Lavender is the one to have.
It is both strong and gentle and can be used “neat” (undiluted) directly on the skin. Beware, however, because as amazing and therapeutic Lavender is, it is also the most corrupted essential oil on the market. Take care to buy True Lavender, Lavendula angustifolia.
How many items in your medicine cabinet can you replace with Lavender Essential Oil?
anti-inflammatory (sprains, strains)
promoter of healing (sores, blisters, burns, cuts)
mucolytic(break down mucous)
central nervous system regulation
Lavender in your first aid kit
- BURNS: Apply Lavender, German Chamomile and ice to the affected area. Repeat 2-3 times per day, as needed.
- CUTS, SORES, BED SORES: Clean the area. Apply 4 drops Lavender to the area. Or Make a blend of 4 drops Lavender, 2 drops Tea Tree and 2 drops German Chamomile. Apply drops to cover the area until scab appears.
- ACNE/Pimples: Apply 1 drop Lavender per pimple or small acne area. For a more intense acne treatment, use Lavender, German Chamomile, Tea Tree and Helichrysum. Apply lotion after using if skin is dry.
- NATURAL DEODORANT: Place 1-4 drops Lavender under each arm. Add a drop of Tea Tree and a drop of Vetiver for additional antimicrobial benefits.
- MENSTRUAL CRAMPS: Place 4 drops Lavender, 2 drops Roman Chamomile, 2 drops Anise and 2 drops Sweet Marjoram into hands, rub together, and then rub on lower abdomen and lower back. Cramps should stop within 5
minutes. Can be repeated up to 4 times per day.
- SORE THROAT: Run 1-3 drops Lavender on neck and throat.
- SORE GUMS: Rub 1-3 drops to gums and mouth ulcers, add 2 drops Tea Tree for added benefit
- ATHLETES FOOT: Use 5 drops Lavender on each foot, 1-2 times per day on dry feet. Add 10 drops to the inside of shoes if needed. If problem persists, make a stronger formula with 1- drops Lavender, 5 drops Tea Tree , 4 drops Thyme Thymol and 2 drops Clove. Apply 1-2 time per day to dry feet.
- PREVENTION OF SCARS: Appy Lavender to scars daily, even old scars.
- EARACHES: Mix 5 drops Lavender, 3 drops Tea Tree, 2 drops Thyme Thymol. Rub 2 drops behind the ear and down neck and throat. Works for both children and adults.
- SINUS CONGESTION:Mix 4 drops Lavender, 4 drops Peppermint, 3 drops Rosemary cineol 3 drops Lemon, 2 drops Basil. Apply 2 drops on a cotton swab and rub into each nostril and on roof of mouth. For an inhalation, place 5
drops on a tissue or handkerchief and inhale 5 deep breaths from cloth. Use this mixture in a diffuser.
- HEADACHES: Apply 4 drops Lavender and 2 drops Peppermint to the back of the neck and head. If you are sensitive to oils, you can add them to a tablespoon of carrier oil (coconut oil)
- INSECT BITES: Apply 1 drop of Lavender to each bite. Itching and stinging should stop right away. Spider bits may take more drops of Lavender.
- DISINFECTING: Diffuse in a diffuser alone or with Lemongrass, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, other oils you may have.
- TRAVEL: Anytime you’re in close proximity to people (airplane, subway, bus, elevator, etc) place 5 drops Lavender, 2 drops Lemon, 2 drops Peppermint on handerchief and inhale when needed.
- ROOM PURIFICATION: when arriving into a hotel, spray or sprinkle Lavender on bed or in room to purify and encourage relaxation.
- THE BATH: Use 5-25 drops of Lavender per tub of bathwater. Apply directly on skin then immerse into bath, mix the drops of Lavender into epsom salts or dendritic salt then add to hot bathwater.
- SLEEP/INSOMNIA: Make your own ‘liquid ambien’. While in bed, place 2-4 drops Lavender and 1-2 drops Vetiver onto palm then rub both palms together well. Rub right palm on instep of left foot several times, then repeat with left palm and right foot. Then rub both hands to back of neck, and throat. Then, lay down, cup hands together, place
up to nose and inhale the aroma deeply and slowly up to 20 times. As you repeat this you will feel your mind begin to calm, and your body will become relaxed. Soon you’ll be asleep. If you are particularly tense or stressed, a 2nd application may be needed if you just can’t fall asleep, or else use the higher number from the recipe. If you have a problem with waking up in the night, another application can be used.
- DRY BRUSHING FOR A SPECIAL TREAT IN IMMUNE SYSTEM BUILDING, PROMOTING CIRCULATION, REMOVING DEAD SKIN AND REDUCING MICROBES. Method:
Before shower, use 10 drops Lavender, 5 drops Tea Tree and 5 drops Eucalyptus Radiata on arms, legs and trunk. Take a large makeup brush and rub all over. Or, you can use your hands as the brush and with friction, rub all the skin on your body. Then get into a hot batch and you will feel the oils penetrate into your body. It will be wondrous!
Lavender is the foundation of your natural medicine cabinet
ease depression and uplift mood
As you have read, Lavender is a little miracle in a bottle. I
won’t leave home without it. I keep a bottle in my purse, my car, my
desk at work and my nightstand. I’m what you’d call a Lavender
junkie. It just works that well!
Where to get quality essential oils
Essential oils can be expensive. But……a little bottle goes A LONG WAY!!! The price of essential oils in the marketplace ranges greatly. The most expensive isn’t necessarily the best, nor is the least expensive the most inferior. There are dozens of sources for EOs, but I have done my research and only have found a few brands that I truly can back. To learn what essential oils I recommend, click here.